Thursday 5 April 2018

New Music: Introducing - Hatis Noit


And now for something completely different…

One of the criticisms I often throw at myself and this old school music blog of mine is that it sometimes doesn’t represent my full listening tastes or experiences. The number of times that people think I only like pop music or indie music or female vocals because that’s what I feature a lot of here grates a little. Because outside of Breaking More Waves I often find myself disappearing into odd, unusual, and sometimes experimental nooks and crannies. People seem surprised when I tell them that, for example, I’m a huge fan of (most) of Aphex Twin's work as if somehow because I also like Kylie Minogue or Britney Spears that its not also possible to like stuff that isn’t mainstream.

So today I’m introducing a new artist that comes very much from the experimental side of things. She creates exotic, oddly crafted pieces that have been fascinating me for the last few days. Her name is Hatis Noit and she’s the sort of artist I could imagine the likes of Bjork hearing and immediately wanting to collaborate with.

Hatis Noit is originally from Shiretoko in Hokkaido, Japan but now resides in London. Her music (I daren’t even call her creations songs, because they’re certainly not songs in the traditional form) are based almost exclusively around her voice. It’s a voice that in places is operatic, alien, monastic and earthily primal. Sometimes she layers or chops and splices her vocals to make astonishing abstract and somewhat absurd soundtracks that sound as they’ve come from a dream. And what a dream - a playful one that is cast out on her recent EP Illogical Dance released via Erased Tapes a couple of weeks ago. It’s a transcendent piece of work, demonstrating a vocal that has incredible range and embraces the idea of experimentalism to the hilt. 

Through this music Hatis Noit has created something unique and strangely, startlingly beautiful.

Hatis Noit - Illogical Lullaby

No comments: