Thursday 8 March 2018

New Music: Thyla - I Was Biting


I’ve made several failed attempts to see Thyla over the last year or so. That was until January this year when the Brighton four-piece announced they were the tour support for Inheaven, which included a show at my local venue The Wedgewood Rooms, Southsea, Portsmouth.

This time nothing got in the way and everything clicked. Thyla were impressive. For me it was one of those evenings where the support band outshone the headline band. Big atmospheric guitar riffs, powerful vocals and a handful of blistering tunes that burned brightly.

New single I Was Biting is another power punch to add to the band’s growing collection of songs that you need to know. Combining elements of grunge and indie rock it propels them forward with an angsty and aggressive edge, sometimes leaving you hanging at the cliff before exploding in a glorious uproar. 

There’s a whole wave of thrilling new guitar bands around at the moment but a lot of them can’t really sing. That’s where Millie Duthie comes in. She’s Thyla’s not so secret weapon. Her vocals step from dreamy etherealness to moments of soaring authority in a flash. Thyla have won me over. Again.

Thyla - I Was Biting

No comments: