Sunday 24 September 2017

New Music: Liv - Hurts To Liv


A conversation in the Breaking More Waves household:

“This song sounds a hell of a lot like Lykke Li.”

“It does, but it isn’t, it’s someone called liv.”

“That name rings a bell as well, but I can’t think why.”

*Google search*

“Oh, hold on. It is Lykke Li. In some sort of Swedish/American supergroup. Oh, yes, I featured them before on Breaking More Waves last year. I’d forgotten”

Maybe it’s because I’m getting older and the memory is failing (yes, I have used Shazam to identify songs only to then realise the reason I like the song is because it’s on a record I already own…am I the only person to do this or is it a common thing?), or maybe it’s just that there’s so much new music out there that it’s impossible to keep up. But either way liv is a name that I should have remembered.

Either way, Hurts to Liv, a personal tribute to deceased parents, is a beautiful, restful and sad sounding piece of work. Lykke Li has always been the princess of sad-pop and now this song elevates her to queen. You can imagine the band playing this in some half empty downtown bar in the mid-west of America, as a few folk pass the time staring out of the window as the sun goes down. 

liv - Hurts to Liv


No comments: