Wednesday 12 October 2016

New Music: Introducing - Sølv


You’d be forgiven for making the assumption that with a name like Sølv this singer was about to follow in the footsteps of MØ or Oh Land, bringing Danish pop to the masses. After all Sølv is the Danish word for silver. (Note - for any aspiring pop types who want to go one better, the word Guld is still available as a name). However, the reality is that Sølv originally hails from the UK – or to be more precise, the Portsmouth area – where of course Breaking More Waves is based.

Sølv’s modus operandi is slow burning electropop, full of mood and atmosphere. You can hear it on the first song to be released from her Black Ink EP. It's called Losing My Mind. However, don’t be fooled by the sonics - the restrained chills are counterbalanced with a near obsessional let it all out approach in the lyrics: “Going crazy I don’t know what to do, but I think you know what I’m going through,” she coos with a soothing voice full of purity. 

If Losing My Mind was a cocktail it would be a classic gin martini – elegant, sophisticated and stylish. 

 Sølv - Losing My Mind

No comments: