Wednesday 12 February 2014

Halsey - New Waves


Ghost is the debut single from potential US pop starlet in the making Halsey; a percussive and pulsing parcel of electropop that makes its mark immediately with its bad girl lyrics and impressive production.  “I don’t like them innocent, I don’t want no face fresh. Want them wearing leather, begging ‘let me be your taste test’. I like the sad eyes, bad guys, mouth full of white lies. Kiss me in the corridor but quick to tell me goodbye,” she opens with.

It’s somewhat different to her Harry Styles / Taylor Swift parody tune entitled The Haylor Song which caused a bit of a rumpus with One Direction fans when she uploaded it under her real name (Ashley Frangipane) in 2012. (Halsey is an anagram of Ashley of course.) However, since then she’s made some major strides musically.

Halsey / Ashley seems a pretty internet savvy sort of lady, having already amassed 20k followers on Twitter (not bad for a supposedly ‘new’ artist - but then maybe they're all 1D fans?) and already a couple of our favourite pop blogs from overseas such as relative newcomer Oblivious Pop (the new Neon Gold blog?) and established blog biggie Hillydilly have posted the tune. “Ghost where’d you go? I can’t find you in the body sleeping next to me,” sings Halsey and just like Hillydilly we immediately hear a vocal similarity to Lauren Mayberry of Chvrches, on this particular tune at least. This is a high quality, utterly contemporary, promiscuous piece of pop. Watch this one do the rounds.

Halsey - Ghost

No comments: