Saturday 1 February 2014

24 Hour : Blogathon - The End


A personal note from Robin Seamer, author of Breaking More Waves

"So this is it. Exactly 24 hours after it started it finishes. 

When I first had the idea of using the blog to do something useful for Cancer Research  I envisaged trying to get sponsorship for maybe £100 or £150 pounds for a charity that is close to my heart because like many other people I lost my father to the disease. I never ever thought that this blogathon would raise so much more than that.

I’m too tired to really write anything at this stage. The one thing I’ve learnt from doing this is that if I’m ever going to stay up all night again staring into a computer screen pretty much non stop for 24 hours with the exception of comfort breaks and meal times, I’m going to get some extra sleep the night before. Doing something like this with five and a half hours kip the night before and actually starting tired and yawning is a bit ridiculous really.

But that added to the challenge and we’ve made it.

Firstly I want to say a huge thank you to Adam from Alphabet Bands who has also been working incredibly hard to produce such high quality blog posts all through the 24 hours on his blog and for asking me if he could join in with the Blogathon in the first place. His support and chatter throughout the period has been invaluable, but more importantly his involvement has hugely increased the amount we’ve raised. 

Secondly I want to thank my family who have put up with me being pretty uncommunicative over the last 24 hours as I’ve sat with my headphones on listening to music trying to decide if it’s ‘right’ to blog about or not.

But most importantly I want to thank to everyone who has sponsored me. Now I know what a ‘buzz blogger’ is. It’s that feeling you get when you hit another £100 barrier in the middle of the night or when a complete stranger donates money and tells you how much they’ve enjoyed what you’ve been doing and have been following it on Twitter and they’ve been reading as many posts as they can.

As I press publish we’ve raised an incredible £1,355.66 between the 2 of us, just for listening to music and staying up all night.

This has been without doubt the most worthwhile thing I’ve done with Breaking More Waves since it started and although I’m a bit knackered now, I'm really pleased I did it. I hope if you read any of the posts you got something out of it. Sorry if they got a bit short at the end - tiredness kills creativity!

Thank you everyone. I’m taking a few days off blogging now to catch up with the people I love.

Good night / good morning. I’m not sure what to say. 

Thank you

Robin"

For Colin Seamer R.I.P

(And if you stiill want to donate.....)




JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

4 comments:

emmdee said...

Well done!

Anonymous said...

Awesome work Robin. Congrats.

Anonymous said...

Amazing. That is a serious amount raised for a great cause. SW

Breaking More Waves Blog said...

A quick update - the drip feed on sponsorship is still coming in and we are now up to £1,500 !!!